I don't know if you've been following the activities on the FOP mailing
list, but they are in the process of doing a core redesign.  Based on some
of the comments on the XSmiles features page I posed a few quick question
to the FOP team.

Their response seems to have been fairly positive, so I was wondering if
any members of the XSmiles team would be able to post to the FOP list with
some details as to how XSmiles uses FOP and how integration between the two
could be enhanced.  In paticular there is a movement afoot to allow a more
dynamic rendering of the FOP content using Swing components, as opposed to
the current more static viewing approach.  Support for dynamic changes to
the DOM tree (via scripting) may also be possible.

It looks like there is a great opportunity here for synergy between the two
groups.  The possibility exists for the XSmiles and FOP teams to develop an
elegant approach to integrating their technologies that could be extended
to include Batik.  The vision of a single, cross-platform client that
supports all of the major W3 standards may be attainable!

Jason Foster