If you're running on Windows you might have the same problem I had
when  I first  upgraded to JDK 1.4. I even hand edited the registry,
explicitly set CLASSPATH and PATH environment variables, and
could not get the code to work.

I un-installed older JDK versions (1.2.2 & 1.3.1), then installed 1.4.
That worked.

FWIW, I had no trouble at all moving to 1.4 on Linux back in my
office.

 HTH,

 Joe

RamanaJV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>