Hi Oleg,

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 23:14, Oleg Tkachenko wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> Please review my humble thoughts about awt viewer redesign.
> 1. First of all some classes seems to be completely unused. Among them
> UserMessage, MessagesDialog and MessageException. Unfortunately I cannot
> read german, but afaiu they probably supposed to provide localizable
> option dialogs, exception etc for something more powerful than awt
> viewer is at the moment. Do we need them?

I think they originally displayed an error message with the message
handler which is now replaced with logging. It didn't work very well if
there were a lot of error messages.
So they could probably be removed and replaced with something else.

> 2. awt viewer should take over caching of rendered pages in order to
> simplify awt renderer.

It should be possible to use a cached store pages model that can handle
that. See the CachedRenderPagesModel, it would be very similar except it
would not dispose of the page and would need some way to indicate the
page does not need to be held in memory.

> 3. awt viewer uses notion of language in its l10n stuff instead of more
> standard and robust native java Locale class. This is so actually due to
> the next point.
> 4. awt viewer is backing SecureResourceBundle with proprietary
> LoadableProperties. This approach has pros and contras:
> - no support for Locale
> - no support for properties cascading
> - duplicating of jre code
> + UTF-8 encoded properties files.
> Reasonable alternative is using PropertyResourceBundle class, which
> doesn't have these minuses and the only disadvantage of using it would
> be the necessity to convert all resource files to latin1 encoding using
> native2ascii and IMO this is not a very serious problem, one can always
> use native2ascii -reverse in order to get human readable file.
> I have modified awt viewer to using ResourceBundle this weekend and it
> looks more robust to me and works fine (I have only verified english and
> russian locales though).

I agree the java classes is the way to go with that.

If you could submit a patch that would be great.