Hi Peter and others,

The answer appears to be a clarification of the the spec authors had in
the minds when writing it.

The answer is what I was originally thinking it meant, that is that a
block area under an inline is not wrapped by an inline area but rather
the block area becomes a sibling of the lines areas created for the
inline areas.
so:
<block>
</block>

is the same as:
<block>
<inline>some text </inline>
<block>a block</block>
<inline> more text</inline>
</block>

The block may inherit some properties from the inline but it is not
wrapped by the properties of the inline or wrapped by an inline area
that has traits.

Here are some references that I could find:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=97951301002986&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=102011250524180&w=2