Jeremias Maerki wrote:

I'm going a step further and I'm thinking about providing a development
tool for FOP. We've developed a simple one at work where we could
specify either FO or XML/xSLT file and an output format (FO, PDF, PS etc.).
Then we have that big "Process" button that runs the document through
Xalan and FOP. The configuration is saved when you exit, but at the
moment we don't have multiple profiles. I've got a few good ideas about
an improved tool in this direction. It would also be a good project for
someone who'd like to contribute to the FOP project but doesn't want to
go to the depths. I can elaborate if anyone is interested.
I agree with you, I was thinking about it too. btw, I found an interesting mail in the xsl-list archive back to 1999 from James Tauber about his vision of FOP's future[1]:
"To give a little insight into my *long term* vision for FOP. Eventually, I
would like to put a GUI interface on top to allow exactly this kind of human
fine-tuning. The FOP engine does an initial layout and then a human can
override line/column/page breaks, hyphenation, kerning, etc., saving back as
formatting objects again."
Well, but 1.0dev certanly is higher in the task list.

[1] http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/199905/msg00504.html
--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team