Hey, thanks Kevin, for going through the pains of explaining this. I
almost new when I wrote the reply that you might come with this. Anyway,
I didn't know about these compiler optimizations. I've read an article
on Java optimization more about 18 months ago, where the
StringBufferChained approach was favored. Probably, in the meantime the
compiler was improved. I think you're right on target with your analysis.

On 11.11.2002 22:46:36 Kevin O'Neill wrote:
> Sorry if this seems hard but this is the sort of performance enhancement
> I was talking about yesterday. If people are going to do these sorts of
> "enhancements" then they should be aware of the effects.

<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki