On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 20:22, Laszlo Hornyak wrote:
> ok, sorry for the disturbance.
>
> Laszlo Hornyak
>
> ps:
> StringBuffering code:
> time for test: 45479
>
> String += code:
> time for test: 52011
>
> difference: 14.36%
>
> java version "1.4.1_01"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01-b01)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_01-b01, mixed mode)

I think everyone involved with FOP (from occasional contributors like
me, to the more stable and prolific commiters) appreciates the effort
you made. I wanted to ensure that your efforts where well directed and
you had the knowledge at had to increase the effectiveness of your
efforts.

Please never be sorry for disturbance, rock the boat, make me (and
others) explain our selves. I apologize if you took offense to my
remarks, none was intended.

I'm not doubting that the += is slower (that is plainly obvious from the
pcode). I do think that there are places for using StringBuffers, just
know when to use them.

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 09:13:36AM +0100, Keiron Liddle wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 23:44, Kevin O'Neill wrote:
> > > Like anybody else there are times when I optimize as I go, but I really
> > > try and keep in mind, "is this the simplest thing I could do?" Fighting
> > > the urge to apply "optimizations" as you go is hard sometimes but in my
> > > experience leads to a better code base.
> >
> > This is the most important statement IMO.
> > Especially with Fop, if it is not simple there we are going to dig
> > ourselves into a hole.
> > Things are complicated enough without making convoluted and confusing
> > optimisations.
> >
> > Keep parts simple and have a well defined contract between parts.
> >
> > Keiron.

If you don't test then your code is only a collection of bugs which
apparently behave like a working program.

Website: http://www.rocketred.com.au/blogs/kevin/