On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 01:00, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> I actually helped push for this last year - the notion of separate layout
> managers. I was strongly influenced by the mess that FOP code had become at
> the time, and really thought that layout should be taken out of the FOs
> themselves; that the FO's, in a sense, were (or should be) just value
> objects.
>
> I worked on an xslfo-proc prototype (in Perl) for months earlier this year.
> I started out with the layout manager idea. It became increasingly clear to
> me that there was in fact a natural 1-1 correspondence between managers and
> FOs. I had a prototype, incidentally, which properly handled
> reference-orientation in all regions, and even took RO down to
> block-containers, something which no implementation (not FOP, not XEP, not
> XSLFormatter, not XFC) has correctly done. Unless Epic handles RO correctly,
> which I don't know.
>
> It's also interesting, Joerg, that you should mention a "hard to understand"
> layout manager class hierarchy...this is also what inevitably developed in
> my prototype. So at some point (and I think there are comments and emails to
> support this) I eventually came back to the thought that there is nothing
> wrong with individual FOs being able to do their own layout. Which is
> actually the existing "maintenance stream" FOP model.

I still believe that it is useful to have the layout managers separate
from the fo tree. There are a number of reasons that come to mind. It is
possible to independantly change layout managers. Certain fo's aren't
directly in the same hierarchy: markers, undefined table columns, table
cells under table body. Then there are things like floats and footnotes
that can gain from this.