> Batik is only necessary to generate SVG output, right? I guess, a lot of
> people are using Fop to generate PDF only, but Fop needs batik.jar in any
> case because the driver initializes an "SVG element  mapping":
>
> org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.setupDefaultMappings() :
>   addElementMapping("org.apache.fop.svg.SVGElementMapping");

That is to handle svg input which could be used in a PDF (or any other) output
document.

> This method will throw a ClassNotFoundException when batik.jar is not in
> the classpath

There are a number of other areas that require batik in the classpath.

> Maybe the initialization of the element mapping could somehow be moved to
> SVG specific code. Ideally it would be included only when the output
> format requires Batik

This has been dealt with in the redesign. The code that handles the element
mapping, external XML and image loading is separated so that if batik is not in the
classpath it will continue to operate.