Hi Peter

On 22.01.2003 12:48:54 Peter B. West wrote:
> Without going back to the original posting, I suspect that the PMC does
> not want to have to sort out candidates.  It is our job to decide on two
> nominations to the PMC, which the PMC intend, IIUC, to simply accept.  I
> haven't followed the discussion beyond that, and I nominated only
> because we needed another nomination, and  because, on reflection, it
> would look good on the CV.  I hope this is not too crass an admission
> for the FOP sensibilities.

I think you're right.

The CV aspect also crossed my mind. :-)

> I'm not sure that the comment on releases is entirely accurate.  It
> seems to me tha the responsibilities of the PMC are much braoder than
> that, but I may be wrong.

That was just one aspect I wanted to emphasize. They are responsible
(among other things) for the releases made by the various subprojects.
That's part of what establishes the legal protection for the software
made at Apache. At least, that's what I gathered from listening into the
lengthy discussions held on community and other mailing lists.

> What I thin kis more pertinent is that the
> PMC meets monthly.  This is presumably an on-line meeting, but using
> what facilities?  I am on the end of a state-of-the-art 33k dialup link,
> and I wonder if this would cause problems.

I guess I can be happy to have an 256/64 ADSL line available. I'd rip my
hair out if I had to work with an 33k dialup link. :-)

> In any case, it's up to us to work out who we want our representatives
> on the PMC to be, and forward one or two names.  That's my take on the
> matter.

Yep.

Let's hope the others also share their thoughts with us.

Jeremias Maerki