Of course, we could simply add the method and hope nothing breaks in the
process. The whole Gump thing is about getting the projects to talk to
each other. We got barked at in the past because we changed our API
without thinking about third-party dependencies. Now I'm informing the
Batik guys about the consequences of their latest changes.

You see, your code below could simply be added to Batik's
AbstractGraphicsNode, I think, and everything would be in order again
(without us having to change anything).

It may very well be that FOP 0.20.5rc3 will not work with the current
CVS version of Batik because it lacks the getSensitiveBounds() method.
If something in the Batik code calls that method, boom,
NoSuchMethodError. But I haven't tested it, yet, so I can't tell for
sure.

Both projects, Batik and FOP, have changed their APIs in their past.
That is allowed but the projects should care about their customers and
avoid generating unnecessary problems. So, before I change anything in
our code I want to see if there are other possibilities.

On 30.05.2003 17:38:50 Glen Mazza wrote:
> This doesn't appear to be Batik's fault--they're just
> recoding their classes, and their GraphicsNode
> interface has two more functions in it, one of which
> needs implementing in FOP's PDFJpegNode class.
>
> If Gump links to Batik's latest and greatest when
> building FOP, then FOP will need to update whenever
> Batik changes.  Could/should that be changed so Gump
> will only link to the Batik library that we get on a
> cvs checkout?
>
> Thankfully, it appears that if this is added to FOP's
> PDFJpegNode it will at least compile against both
> versions--library Batik and latest-and-greatest Batik:
>
>     public Rectangle2D getSensitiveBounds() {
>         return getGeometryBounds();
>     }
>
> (code from
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/sources/org/apache/batik/gvt/TextNode.java?rev=1.27&sortby=date&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
> -- a Batik class that needed changing itself as a
> result to the new functions in GraphicsNode)
>
> Glen
>
> --- Jeremias Maerki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi Batik-Devs,
> >
> > the latest changes in Batik broke both the
> > maintenance branch and HEAD
> > of FOP:

Jeremias Maerki