<victor quote>

[Responding to Jeremias here] Or, better yet IMO, into
a RenderType
object
that is a child or grandchild of the Document, so that
there can be
multiple
RenderTypes for the same Document.

</victor quote>

I can understand enhancements for logging and
threading, but multiple RenderTypes for the same
Document appears to be Cocoon's department, not ours.

We're at a level below that, very similar to Xalan:

Xalan input: xml document, xslt stylesheet
Xalan output: document

FOP input:  xml (xsl-fo namespace) document, render
type
FOP output: document

Given that our Area tree is renderer-specific, and
since the area tree creation is tightly bound to fo
tree creation--I think any internal implementation we
would have of multiple rendering types would just
involve running FOP once for each rendering type.  If
so, perhaps this is best left with Cocoon.

Glen