J.Pietschmann wrote:

Peter B. West wrote:

The problem is that there are different editors. The Java editor is OK, but when you start editing xml files, for example, you get a different editor - the Text Editor, I think. And that beast seems immune to instruction about tabs.

Ah, yes. Text is text -- no indentations.
You should get an XML plugin for XML editing. Last time I looked
at xmen it still sucked (no tag autocompletion, and blocking
autocompletion for the whole Eclipse), there seems to be some
improvement however.

I like XMLBuddy (http://www.xmlbuddy.com/). It's much better than X-Men -- or at least it was when I last compared them, which was a few months ago. Unfortunately, it's free but not open-source, and it's been a long while since a new version came out. And furthermore, it doesn't substitute spaces for tabs, as far as I can tell. Even so, I've been really pleased with it. It has lots of "killer features" that I haven't seen in many other places, such as autogenerating a DTD for XML files in which one is not specified and offering autocompletion based on that.

For the specific case of Ant scripts, Eclipse (2.1?) includes a fairly nice editor that has autocompletion and documentation for all the Ant tasks. I believe it's configured by default. However, since in previous versions of Eclipse I had previously configured all my XML files to use the text editor, it didn't show up for me until I explicitly set it to do so.

Anyway, back to lurking.... :)

- Eric