Victor Mote wrote:
J.Pietschmann wrote:

OOps, I didn't think about that. We could
a) Force ISO-8859-1 for all Java source files in the build file.
   Is this a discrimination of, ummm, non-western contributors
   who might want to have their names in their native script
   in the files?
b) Keep a list of Java source files which need a different encoding
  and force ISO-8859-1 on the rest
c) Switch to UTF-8. Eclipse can deal with UTF-8. Users of other
  IDEs are, to a large part, screwed.

I already chose option #3 for the files in question (probably 2 weeks ago).
If java source files are Unicode, then can a java editor really claim to be
such if it can't handle UTF-8? I guess I don't understand how this became
such an important and heated discussion.

(I wouldn't say it was heated.) I am curious about the impact of someone working without any formal IDE, and just using (X)Emacs and JDEE for development. As far as I know, XEmacs does not support Unicode, but if the non-ASCII characters were restricted to comments, and XEmacs thought it was dealing with ISO-8859-15, would there be any actual problems? ASCII nulls aren't gling to appear in such UTF8 are they?

Peter B. West  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/resume.html