John Austin wrote:
(is Content-length: required for any reason other than placating
Acrobat and that rich hermit who lives outside Redmond WA ?)

Not really a FOP topic but anyway. Setting content-length is considered "good style", because it allows browsers give feedback to the users how far the download proceeded. This is especially useful for larger files on slow connections. Of course, there is a tradeoff for dynamically generated content: there wont be any feedback at all until the content is ready, and if this is longer than the download time itself (now that everybody has broadband :-) ), the user is still dissatisfied. Well, the IEx architecture bug saves us from pondering the philosophical background.

2) Cache Templates objects for faster Transformations when XSLT
   files are to be re-used. The 'Java and XSLT' O'Reilly book
   has some interesting suggestions in this area.

The problem is to detect style sheet reuse without context information.

3) Using URL's for the fo= and xml=,xsl= parameters so we can use
   network resources as well as local files.

+1000. Doh, revert to +0. I'd like to do this, unfortunately, this is not without drawbacks: - People have to learn what an URI is. This seems to be much harder than expected, especially for file:-URLs. - People will still insist to keep "xml=foo.xml". This is still an URL (actually: a relative URL reference, which has to be resolved). We have to think hard what the base URL is in this case.

J.Pietschmann