J.Pietschmann wrote:

Static objects are bad because of the usual MT issues (yeah,
even for logging).

Should FOP itself multithread, or would it be better to let whatever would call FOP do the multithreading? I don't know what Xalan does with their translets, I suspect they just rely on the caller to implement it.

Also, would implementation of FOP MT cause the caller's MT to become inefficient or otherwise messed up? I think I can see more use cases of letting FOP's caller handle the MT (e.g., servlet implementing MT to return PDF's simultaneously to hundreds of users, one PDF generation on each thread) than of FOP doing it itself, at the same time the caller has implemented it.

Glen