I understand understand your concerns concering avalon (and followed myself the thread
you noticed in the last weeks).

But it would be great to have any possibility to "plug in" a own source resolving
concept in FOP in any case! This could be Excalibur or anything else.

Consider something like this (very rough):

public interface FopImageResolver {

  URL resolve(String href) throws MalformedURLException;

}

And a extension to FopImageFactory:

public static void setImageResolver(FopImageResolver resolver) { ... }
public static FopImageResolver getImageResolver() { ... }

This would allow to "plug in" every image resolving concept that is needed for 3rdpary
application integration including avalong-based cocoon from now, whatever-based cocoon
in the future and others.

And only some additional lines of code in the Fop sourcebase - without dependencies to
any "non-base" tool.

If you follow some user mailing lists like cocoon and forrest there are dozens of
examples of problems with embedded images in PDFs, because fop uses internal a
complete different resolving concept than cocoon. This could be solved very easy, i
think.

Stefan