When I render an fo file that is generated with the docbook
stylesheets, I get this validation error:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Error(2/12476): fox:outline is not a valid child
element of fo:root.
org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Error(2/12476):
fox:outline is not a valid child element of fo:root.
        at org.apache.fop.apps.FOFileHandler.render(FOFileHandler.java:103)
        at org.apache.fop.apps.Fop.main(Fop.java:55)

The code in Root shows that fox:bookmarks is the only allowed fox
child of fo:root. It is not clear that that is true. The web page
extensions.html does not even mention fox:bookmarks. The example file
examples/fo/basic/pdfoutline.fo clearly embeds fox:outline elements in
fox:bookmarks. The docbook stylesheets authors place fox:outline
elements directly in fo:root. FOP-0.20.5 has no problem with this
arrangement. Even if it is true, it creates compatibility problems.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl