My preference would be to explicit pass the shared data (in this case the FOEventHandler) to the classes that needs it. If the recursion Glen discovered is deemed too slow, then store the FOEventHandler in an instance field for each FONode.

[Jeremias]

My preference, too. But having too much in FONode will generate a lot
memory consumption.

Then maybe we can select some specific node types that will carry an actual reference to the FOEventHandler. Like fo:root (obviously), fo:flow and fo:block and all other node type will reference their parent. We can then pick the right tradeoff between memory and CPU.

It's just a thought.

regards,
finn