On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 08:47:07PM +0200, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Question to everyone: We currently don't have a multi-threaded design
> like Peter West's approach. Can anyone think of a reason that all the
> FO-building and layouting process for one processing run may run within
> more than one thread? I don't think threre is one if the SAX event
> delivery is always within one thread (big if). If there isn't I believe
> we could make use of a ThreadLocal to put some shared data that will be
> easily accessible from all involved components. Initialize the
> ThreadLocal in startDocument() and clear it in endDocument(). I realize
> there's a certain risk involved but it could really shorten the access
> ways for shared data especially for the FO tree, if that's really a
> problem (I'd also like to know if it really is. Anyone?).

PageLayoutManager has a seed for multithreading; it implements
Runnable. The idea is to let each page sequence run in its own
thread. It has not been worked out. Using a ThreadLocal for
FOInputHandler would make this more difficult. This is not a typical
usage case for ThreadLocal as mentioned in the java documentation. I
do not find it an attractive idea.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping