[Peter]

Alt-design just uses a sparse array, constructed at END_ELEMENT.  Space
savings are progressively realized as the depth of the FO Tree reduces.
 Maximum consumption occurs at the points of greatest depth of the
tree, minima at the end of each page-sequence.

[me]

IIRC your sparse array does not just contain the relevant properties for an element (those listed in the spec under each fo:element), but the joined set of all properties relevant for all the allowed children. If this is correct, the sparse arrays stores more properties and uses more memory than my proposal does.

[Peter]

... no, the sparse arrays contain only properties relevant to the node itself. If not, it's a bug.

I misremembered, my apologies for giving the impression that FAD use more memory. Thank you for setting me straight.

regards,
finn