[Glen]

Actually, to clarify what I wrote: why do we need an
extension interface (TreeExt) for objects placed
outside the document (pdf bookmarks/metadata), while
*not* needing one for extension objects that end up
placed *on* the document?

You subclass Area for elements on the document and TreeExt for elements outside the document.

For the latter types, area
creation is hardcoded within our layout managers (to
be replaced by extension writers when they have new
FO's), so I don't logically see why we can't do the
same with the former types.

How can an extension pass information onto the renderer if TreeExt (or whatever we want to call it) is removed?

regards,
finn