Clay,

Sorry for not answering earlier. I have a couple of other things to do
these weeks.

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 02:25:12PM -0700, Clay Leeds wrote:
> I'd also like to resolve the error in Forrest if possible, so the rest
> of this POST deals with that.
>
> I suspect the problem is related to the fact that properties.xml
> references a dtd like this:
>
> <!--
> <!DOCTYPE chapter PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
>                          "docbookx.dtd">
> -->
>
> A couple of things I note here:
> 1. It's commented out

It is commented out so it should not have any influence. It is there
so that I can uncomment and use it during editing.

> 2. this is a relative/local link, but the 'docbookx.dtd' is not local
>    (I also tried
> 'http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd' and
>    'http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/' and as expected neither
> works.)

Because it is only used during editing I have not bothered to make it
absolute. The file book.xml has an absolute path for the DTD, and that
is the one that matters.

> 3. fwiw, iso-num.ent is at
>    http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/ent/iso-num.ent

The dtd that one uses, should have correct relative links to the
entities files. In that way they are loaded without anyone having to
bother about them.

> I'm not very 'up' on DocBook, so this may be how it's 'supposed' to
> work. Nevertheless, &rarr; is the only thing in 'properties.xml' that
> doesn't validate during the /forrest/ run (unless I replace &rarr; with
> &#8594; or &#x2192;).

Once the document and the stylesheets have been written, nothing is
very docbook specific. Only correct absolute paths or good catalogs
matter at that stage. Nevertheless, docbook is a very complex DTD that
uses the whole DTD machinery. I am glad it works.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl