On Feb 7, 2005, at 7:21 AM, Luca Furini wrote:
Finn Bock wrote:
Using your description as a jumping point, here is my ideas for page
breaking. I suppose it is even more pie-in-the-sky since I haven't yet
written anything about it.

As I have been doing a few experiments about page breaking, I'm happy to
join in this conversation.

I rarely find myself feeling the urge to enter these conversations (it's not really my forte), but every now and then, I find I might offer an idea or two I think (hope) will be constructive...

The algorithm that the PageLM uses are a slightly modified knuth (no
need to maintain fitnessclass, and with the ability to decide on a break
when there is N pages of lookahead). The elements return from the LMs
are boxes (for lines), spaces and penalties.

Note that using the box - penalty - glue representation does not necessarily involve using Knuth's algorithm. A first-fit (or best-fit) algorithm could be enough in most situations; and if there are no adjustable elements in the fo document (for exaple, lots of paragraphs without adjustable spaces between them) Knuth's algorithm becomes a best-fit. Given its higher cost, maybe it could be used only when it could really produce a better output.

I don't know how the spec deals with this, but I doubt the spec cares which algorithm is used. That said, would it be a good idea to determine which algorithm to use based on something in userconfig.xml or something? If the Knuth system is more 'expensive' in terms of resources, we could make non-Knuth the default, and enable Knuth via a config file.

The elements are not
returned from the LMs but pushed from the LM into the pageLM:

   parent.generateElement(new Space(resolveBefore());
   parent.generateElement(new Box(lineHeigth);

I'm not sure it is always possible to do this: sometimes the representation of a block depends on the properties of a higher level block. For example:

     outer block

     ---------
     |       |
  inner    inner
  block    block
    1        2

In order to decide whether there can be a page break between the lines
generated by innerBlock1 and innerBlock2, we must know:
- if inner block 1 has keep-with-next
- if inner block 2 has keep-with-previous
- if outer block has keep-together
This can be done if the outer BlockLM calls receives the elements created
by its child, looks at them and adds / removes / corrects; could this be
done if the inner BlockLMs directly give their element to the top-level
LM?

BTW, what about your great refactoring of all the knuth code?

Regards,
    Luca

Cheers!

Web Maestro Clay