I've had a quick look. I'm afraid that what you already have there
wouldn't be good enough for FOP CVS HEAD. There are suspicious
references to PDF and PostScript, for example. IMO a general image
adapter should not know anything about the way the images are used later.
It simply has to provide bitmaps as decoded bitmaps and as raw image
data (for JPEG and EPS). Also, the Avalon Logger in there is suboptimal.
That's an implementation detail and should not be present in the
interface specification. Obviously, that also applies to axsl-font.
Sorry to be so negative today.

The code in FOP CVS HEAD already has a refactoring cycle behind it that
addressed most of the above issues. What remains is a lack of
flexibility in coping with the availability of certain adapters. There
should be no hard-coded routing to the individual implementations but
rather a priority based plug-in mechanism that makes sure a certain
image type is handled properly and by the best implementation available.
What's also missing, for example, is a ImageIO-based adapter (in the
java-1.4) directory.

I nudged a certain Philip Shanks who approached me recently with an
offer to help contribute to FOP in this direction. (Hi Philip!)