Jeremias Maerki wrote:

Before I waste a lot of time trying to figure out how I should fix that,
I thought I'd just drop in a test case. Luca, for you it's probably very
easy to say at which point I should hook in to create pages with empty
content so the non-fitting content is simply pushed to the next page. In
the end, that "pushing-loop" need an upper limit (like 50 iterations or
so) after which it throws a layout exception complaining about too
little room to place content (This check used to be in FlowLM [1]). I'm
somewhat stuck in PageBreakingAlgorithm.removeNode(). Intuitively, I'd
say I'd have to create a new KnuthNode that somehow results in an empty
page or something like that.

At the moment, the test fails because the algorithm stops and restarts from lastTooLong (a page break involving content overflow), so I think that the right point could be BreakingAlgorithm.findBreakingPoints() at line #368.

Instead of using lastTooLong, a node representing an empty page should be created and lastForced should be made equal to that new node.

I did not try if this works, but here is my idea to do that:

- lastTooLong would create a page whose content overflows, so the last
  "good" break poing is lastTooLong.previous
- create a new node whose .position is lastTooLong.previous.position,
  .line is lastTooLong.previous.line + 1, .previous is
  lastTooLong.previous (the other values could be 0, I think)
- this could be the node representing an empty page, from which the
  algorithm can restart

BTW, Luca, I haven't forgotten your post about keep-with-previous in
tables. Thank you for that one. ATM I'm swimming in another lake trying
to remain on top. :-)

I know that kind of situation ... :-)

Regards
    Luca