I would recommend its removal, but am OK with it if you wish to keep it in.

The warning message says: "Ignoring span attribute on <whatever> as it's not a direct child of an fo:flow" But it doesn't need to be a direct child of an *fo:flow* in particular--just a flow (fo:flow or fo:static-content). The spec says 7.20.4: "This only has effect on areas returned by a flow; e.g. block-areas generated by fo:block children of an fo:flow." I think the purpose of this 7.20.4 sentence to prohibit using the "span" attribute for areas not returned by flows: such as bookmarks, page sequence titles, and the like.

Another issue is that the fo:blocks enclosing an fo:external-graphic may have been generated by XSLT, and may end up having a "span" value of "all" by default on all of them as a result (so that the graphic may look the same whether being sent to either a multi-column fo:region-body, a single-column fo:region-body, or a one-column side-region.) Here, the user would fully expects "span" to be ignored anyway for side regions.

Glen

Jeremias Maerki wrote:

I've seen such a warning in another FO implementation and thought this
woud be a nice service for our users. I didn't give the implications
much thought. Should I remove the check?