Jeremias Maerki wrote:

I just hope this breaking-up of the
span-reference-areas won't cause too many problems with keeping the
footnotes working. I'm a bit worried about that. We'll see.

I was thinking about this too: the texbook, speaking about footnotes and columns, says something interesting: paginating a page of height H, N columns ans footnotes having the whole width is quite similar to paginating a page of height N*H, with a single column, where the height of each footnote line has a magnification factor = N.

I think that this way the column break could be seen as "moving indexes", dividing the normal content in pieces of equal length, that could be updated while adding some more normal content. (this could mean that having balanced columns could be even easier than having unbalanced ones!)

These are just some thoughts, as I did not try and implement anything yet ...

Regards
    Luca