I've just tried to simulate that scenario here. Here, my file with the
local changes was left alone and now appears as if it were newly added.
I could now merge it into the moved file. I wonder why it stopped
updating on your machine (I've used SVN 1.2.1). Do you get an error
message when the update stops?

If normal updating and then merging doesn't work, I see no other way
around doing it the hard way. :-( But then, I'm still not the total SVN
expert.