On Jul 30, 2005, at 17:34, Manuel Mall wrote (on bugzilla):

Manuel,
Devs,

To be able to simply replace a 0.20.5 fop.jar with 1.0dev fop.jar I have written a backwards compatible apps.Driver.java class. Everything in the class has been
labelled as deprecated.

FWIW: Personally, besides the compatibility issue, I'm not too happy with the current situation where the very same class is used for both command-line and embedded use (Fop.java) --one class acts both as a standalone application and as a component. That's considered an anti-pattern they call "Subversion of Control" in Avalon terminology[1] :-)

I've been checking the discussion on fop-dev concerning the removal of Driver[2]. From the looks of it, at least one developer had similar reservations about removing it. It's a pity the discussion itself remained rather superficial.

Cheers,

Andreas

[1] http://excalibur.apache.org/framework/component-design.html
[2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=108942539604883&w=2