On Aug 28, 2005, at 18:17, Manuel Mall wrote:

Padding on table-cells is currently broken. The sample fo file below
demonstrates the problem. I think I know the cause and the fix but
would like confirmation:

Am I correct in saying that in the collapsing border model any padding
is not part of the "collapsing", i.e. it only applies to the border
itself?

I think so (although I'm not entirely sure I understand the question). As you are probably aware, in a table with collapsing borders, only cells can have padding. With separated borders, the table itself can also have padding, but padding simply never applies to any other table FOs.
(see for instance: http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice6.html#fo_table-row
check the applicable properties, more precisely the 'NOTE:' on the 'Common Border, Padding and Background' properties)
So I don't really see how padding can be 'part of' the collapsing...

See also: http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice4.html#rend-border

As I understand it, this means that the borders are resolved for each cell, and the padding rectangle for a cell is contained fully within its resolved border-rectangle.

Hope this helps (or even makes sense).

Cheers,