On Sep 2, 2005, at 17:44, Vincent Hennebert wrote:

Hi,

<snip />
             ________________
  This is a | chunk of text |
            -----------------
   ______________
  | with border | blah blah
  ---------------

  blah blah

What is more intuitive and could be expected by a user is the following:
             ______________
  This is a | chunk of text
            ---------------
  _____________
  with border | blah blah
  -------------

  blah blah

<snip />

Hmm... I remember reading something about this --wait a minute... Yep! Got it.

See Rec 4.3.1 Space resolution rules
all the way down
"The border or padding at the start-edge or end-edge of an inline-area I may be specified as conditional. If so, then it is set to zero if its associated edge is a leading edge in a line-area, and the is-first trait of I is false, or if its associated edge is a trailing edge in a line-area, and the is-last trait of I is false."

(see also: 7.7.9 border-before-width .. XSL modifications to the CSS Definition)

By default, the first would be applicable. If the user explicitly specifies border-start-width.conditional="discard", the result would have to be the second.

No extension needed.

Cheers,