[Manuel]

<fo:inline
  border="solid 1pt red"
  border-left-width.conditionality="retain"
  border-right-width.conditionality="retain"
  padding="1pt"
  padding-left.conditionality="retain"
  padding-right.conditionality="retain">

I must still be misunderstanding something. The above property definition does not give the results I expected. All 4 of border/padding start/end still have conditionality="discard".

The absolute border-*-width & padding-* are length, not length-conditional. So the default values for .conditionality is returned.

OTOH, setting a component like .conditionality on a length should definitely cause an error or warning.

regards,
finn