On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:19 pm, Finn Bock wrote:
> [Manuel]
>
> >><fo:inline
> >>   border="solid 1pt red"
> >>   border-left-width.conditionality="retain"
> >>   border-right-width.conditionality="retain"
> >>   padding="1pt"
> >>   padding-left.conditionality="retain"
> >>   padding-right.conditionality="retain">
> >
> > I must still be misunderstanding something. The above property
> > definition does not give the results I expected. All 4 of
> > border/padding start/end still have conditionality="discard".
>
> The absolute border-*-width & padding-* are length, not
> length-conditional. So the default values for .conditionality is
> returned.
>
> OTOH, setting a component like .conditionality on a length should
> definitely cause an error or warning.

Thanks Finn, this spec is a treasure trove of quirks and mysteries. Why
is xxx-left/right a length and xxx-start/end a length conditional? I
assume it has to do with CSS backwards compatibility? Any way this
means there is no way to set borders/padding using a shorthand and then
overwriting the conditionality. Not to worry - I certainly learned just
a little bit more today.

> regards,
> finn

regards