Well, so there is no simple solution :-(

I could probably add a method like getConfiguredFonts in the font server to put in the postscript file all of the fonts defined in the config file. But that really sounds dirty to me.

A temporary solution (before implementing a two-pass approach) would be to only support Base14 fonts; BTW, are these fonts well defined in the postscript standard? Or do they only exist in PDF? And a somewhat related question: how does font embedding work in postscript? I believe that it is like in PDF: embedding is not mandatory, one can simply put the font name in the file, and this will work if the corresponding font is installed on the client system. So this should almost always work for the fonts corresponding to the PDF Base14, and not always for others. Is there a font-naming convention?

So, depending on the answers to the preceding questions: what do we choose? Systematic font embedding or only putting the font name?

Thanks,
Vincent

Jeremias Maerki a écrit :
I know exactly what you mean. The only way around this is to do a
two-pass approach when writing PostScript, meaning that you keep track
of resources (like fonts) while writing the pages and later you put
together the complete PostScript document by including the needed
resources in the right places. Obviously, that means loosing a lot of
processing speed. PDF is in a better position because it's a
random-access file format while PS is streaming. We can add the font
objects to the PDF after we've already used them. On the other side, the
PDF generated this way cannot be not a linearized file which allows
"Fast Web View". The browser always has to load the whole PDF file to
display it because the cross-reference table is at the end of the file.
So, even PDF has, in a way, the same problem.

So you see: the problem is speed versus beauty.

BTW, that was the reason why I started introducing a better resource
handling with PS support, so we can later add such a mode where we write
the PS file in a two-pass approach.