On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 06:56 pm, Finn Bock wrote:
> Manuel Mall wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 04:12 pm, Finn Bock wrote:
> >>[Manuel]

> >>You mean the phrases: "If the property is set on an inline-level
> >>element, it specifies ..." is only used when the line-height
> >> property is explicitly set on inline-level? If the line-height is
> >> inherited then that paragraph isn't operative?
>
> [Manuel]
>
> > Yes that's how I read it because otherwise the sentence "If the
> > property is set on an inline-level element, it specifies ..."
> > doesn't make sense to me. As the property is always implicitly set
> > so this must mean explicit.
> >
> > Do you (or anyone else) understand that differently?
>
> Hmm, not speaking english natively puts me in a disadvantage, but
> perhaps the sentence means the same as "If the property is *used* on
> an inline-level element, it specifies ..." ? The focus is merely on
> the element type, not on where the property value comes from.

That puts us on a level playing field as english is not my native
language either (although having now lived in Australia for 20 years
one does acquire a certain familiarity with the language here).

Any way, back to the topic at hand. Lets assume the following fo:

<fo:block><fo:inline font-size=10pt">some 10pt text<fo:inline
font-size="12pt">some 12 pt text</fo:inline>more 10pt
text</fo:inline></fo:block>

In this case the line-height everywhere is normal which is equivalent to
1.2em. The innermost fo:inline will return an area with a bpd of 12pt.
However, the outer fo:inline has a smaller font and as the line-height
spec on an inline element is binding it can only return areas of 10pt
bpd therefore "cutting off" part of the inner fo:inline. So our area
tree (assuming it all fits on one line) in fop terminology would look
like:

<linearea bpd="10000" space-before="1200" space-after="1200">
  <inlinearea bpd="10000">
    <textarea font-size="10pt">some 10pt text</textarea>
    <inlinearea bpd="12000">
      <textarea font-size="12pt">some 12pt text</textarea>
    </inlinearea>
    <textarea font-size="10pt">more 10pt text</textarea>
  </inlinearea>
<linearea>

In my interpretation as there is no explicit line-height spec on the
inlines we get an area tree like:

<linearea bpd="12000" space-before="1200" space-after="1200">
  <inlinearea bpd="12000">
    <textarea font-size="10pt">some 10pt text</textarea>
    <inlinearea bpd="12000">
      <textarea font-size="12pt">some 12pt text</textarea>
    </inlinearea>
    <textarea font-size="10pt">more 10pt text</textarea>
  </inlinearea>
<linearea>

I have no idea whose right or wrong here or even which interpretation
makes more sense.

BTW, fop does in the moment neither of the two above - but that's a
different story.

> regards,
> finn

Manuel