Vincent,

this is more "just for the record". To do all this alignment stuff
(XSL-FO spec 7.13) correctly we need various baseline information
(tables). And it all starts with the font, i.e. for each font we need
to know its default baseline and where all the other baselines are for
that font (actually on a per glyph basis or at least on a per script
basis). None of this information is currently exposed in the font API,
neither the current FOP Font nor AFAICT in axslFont. There is certainly
no point in modifying the current FOP Font object as it will be
superseded by your work in due course. So I hope axslFont and its first
implementation FOray Font will take a lead here :-). This is further
complicated by most fonts not having this sort of information embedded
in their font files. So there must be other means of deriving it as
well (algorithmic?, external font config files?, ...).

Manuel