On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:36 pm, Apache Wiki wrote:
> Dear Wiki user,

<snip/>

>   = Borders and Padding =
>
> - Borders and paddings are generally replicated on each page when
> block-level FO spans more than a page. Nesting FOs can cause multiple
> such marks to appear at the beginning and at the end of a page. For
> each break possibility inside an FO and for breaks between FOs that
> are nested under a parent breaking such marks these border and
> padding widths may have to be taken into account when building the
> element list for the break possibility, depending on their order. The
> first non-conditional length (counted from the edge of the reference
> area) will cause subsequent conditional lengths to appear in every
> case. + Borders and paddings are generally replicated on each page
> when a block-level FO spans more than a page. Nesting FOs can cause
> multiple such marks to appear at the beginning and at the end of a
> page. For each break possibility inside an FO and for breaks between
> FOs that are nested under a parent breaking such marks, these border
> and padding widths may have to be taken into account when building
> the element list for the break possibility, depending on their order.
> (The first non-conditional length (counted from the edge of the
> reference area) will cause subsequent conditional lengths to appear
> in every case. ''This last sentence is probably wrong!'')

Jeremias, I was wondering about that myself when I read your page. My
understanding is that the question if a border/padding is drawn or not
is independent of any spaces "surrounding" it and what treatment they
receive. That is the decision if a border/padding is drawn depends
solely on its conditionality, and the respective "is-first" / "is-last"
traits on the area in question.

And yes, there is space-start/end stuff in the inline LMs which is
broken but I would suggest to leave that until the space handling in
bpd is sorted out.

Manuel