On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 04:50:15PM +0100, Peter B. West wrote:
> Fopsters,
>
> I've always been somewhat sceptical of the new approach to page
> breaking, although I was prepared to concede that it would be a great
> achievement if you pulled it off.
>
> However, the closer the development has come to fruition, the more some
> of my original concerns have been reinforced.  Think about the enormous
> amount of intellectual effort that has gone into mapping the problem
> into Knuthian.  That effort is still under way.
>
> How is this going to be maintained?  Where are the Knuthian speakers who
> are going to do that job over the next few years?

Maintaining FOP means maintaining a digital typesetting system means
maintaining some of the best digital typography algorithms.

I plan to resume my documenting activities in the coming months. I
look forward to the challenge to document Knuth's algorithms and FOP's
implementation of them in a clear and widely understandable fashion.

Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl