When I run a test target, I only look at the bottom line: SUCCESS or
FAILURE. I do not think I would see a prominent message. The less so
because of the large amount of output that the layout engine tests
produce. I want to be able to assume that all test have been run.

I think Andreas' solution comes down to skipping the tests as well,
which I do not prefer.

Therefore I prefer a combination of a) and d): Fail the layout tests
if there is no hyphenation support and factor out the hyphenation
dependent tests. Create a separate test target
junit-layout-no-hyphenation which skips the hyphenation dependent
tasks. Create a target junit-no-hyphenation, which skips the
hyphenation dependent tasks. In that way the user gets the tests that
he asks for.

Alternatively, the hyphenation dependent tests may be skipped based on
an ant variable no-hyphenation-test=true or false. That would either
invoke another disabled testcases list, or a mechanism like Andreas
proposes.

But basically, why would anyone want to run regression tests without
hyphenation present?

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping