I've started to comment on the individual issues you listed and only
when I got to the examples I realized there must be something wrong. You
place the white-space-treatment after the white-space-collapse but I
think it is clear that the latter comes last ("during area tree construction"
=after line breaking vs. "during line-building and inline-building"
=before line-breaking). That's why you run into problems explaining why
there is no line generated by the white space between the two starting
block elements. Maybe clearing this up might clear up some of the other
issues.