If we can reliably find out which characters are spaces and we know
their widths, then we can fall back to the behaviour as in FOP 0.20.5
just advancing the cursor when a space is found. That puts some
additional logic into the renderer and we could avoid creating and area
per word. Putting more detail in the area tree however, would improve
the consistency of the output between renderers since they have to deal
with less logic (or implied functionality as Tw in PDF).

I'd prefer to make the area tree more detailed and the renderers simpler.

Maybe we could use a trick to minimize the memory increase by creating
an additional "word" area as a child to the text area so we don't have
to replicate the traits for each word. WDYT?