[Jeremias]

... the
transformation list is still necessary to recreate the same state after a "break
out" as needed when painting fixed block-containers. I haven't found a better
way to handle this case, yet.

Is there a reason for keeping areas from absolute and fixed block-containers in the flow of normal areas?

IIUC absolute and fixed block-containers generates areas with an area-class of xsl-fixed and it is hinted that such areas is taken out of the flow and placed under the page-area:

Absolutely positioned areas are taken out of the normal flow.
The area generated is a descendant of the page-area
"""

If I'm right about this, the break-out code can be avoided by placing the absolute and fixed block-container differently in the area tree.

regards,
finn