On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 06:22 am, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
> On Oct 25, 2005, at 10:57, Manuel Mall wrote:
</snip>
> No, it talks about 'character flow objects', which makes me wonder...
> Are all characters to be considered 'character flow objects' or only
> those that were specified using fo:character? Not that it would make
> a big difference, I think.

See bottom of page 3 (PDF version) and top of page 4 of the spec. There
it talks about 'objectifying' the XML elements and attributes which
includes converting characters into character FO's. From then on the
spec always means the value of the "character" property of a
"fo:character" object when talking about characters and their values.
So the answer to your above question is: YES - all characters are
'character flow objects'.

Side note: FOP doesn't quite do the same internally, i.e. a character
explicitly specified using <fo:character.../> is handled separately
from 'plain text'. If someone would write a style sheet which does a
transform of every character into a <fo:character /> object and would
feed the output to FOP the formatting results would be lets say VERY
DISAPPOINTING. Actually something like:
<fo:block background-color="yellow">word1<fo:character
character="&#10;"/><fo:character character=
" "/>word2<fo:character character=" "/>word3<fo:character
character="&#10;"/></fo:block>
currently causes an exception!

> Cheers,
>
> Andreas