On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 03:25:12PM +0800, Manuel Mall wrote:
> In a previous post Joerg pointed to the Unicode Standard Annex #14 on
> Line Breaking (http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr14/) and his initial
> implementation: http://people.apache.org/~pietsch/linebreak.tar.gz.
>
> I had since a closer look at both UAX#14 and Joerg's code. Because I
> liked what I saw I went about adapting Joerg's code it to Unicode 4.1
> and added fairly extensive JUnit test cases to it mainly because it
> really helps to go through the various different cases mentioned in the
> spec in some structured fashion.

Is our current hyphenation method a subset of Unicode's method?

> Assuming now that this will be agreed as well the next step would be the
> more detailed design of the integration. But this is well beyond the
> scope of this e-mail as there are some tricky issues involved and they
> probably need to be tackled in conjunction with the white space
> handling issues. Many of the problems are related to our LayoutManager
> structures which create barriers when it comes to the need to process
> character sequences across those boundaries as is the case for both
> line breaking and white space handling. Add to that the design of the

I seem to recall that the hyphenation code collects words across LM
boundaries.

It seems a useful goal to implement Unicode hyphenation. But since it
is a major effort, it does not fit in working towards a release. In
any case it would have to be in a separate branch until it proves to
work and to implement a substantial part of hyphenation. Then it does
not immediately matter if it is a separate project or a part of FOP.

Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl