On 15.11.2005 11:42:31 Christian Geisert wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki schrieb:
> > On 15.11.2005 10:50:07 Christian Geisert wrote:
>
> [..]
>
> >>I don't think we need to vote on alpha/preview release (preview release
> >>as in "will be available on cvs.apache.org/builds/fop and not on the
> >>official www.apache.org/dist") but should do it nevertheless.
> >
> > But that won't make infrastructure very happy because that will create a
> > lot of traffic on Apache infrastructure if the release isn't mirrored.
> > Furthermore, we want to give out a signal that we're back in the
> > business and that means an announcement through various channels. And
> > that in turn will create traffic. I would strongly suggest we send it
> > out through the distribution system, i.e. a vote is necessary.
>
> But an official release means it will be available "forever" on
> http://archive.apache.org/dist/xml/fop/

Is that so bad?

> And http://www.apache.org/dev/mirrors.html says:
> "Essentially, any release that you do not consider ready for prime time
> should go here. [people.apache.org:/www/cvs.apache.org/]"

Sure, but we want people to try the software and that's kind of "prime
time". The part you're quoting also says: "pre-releases aimed at the
developer community, but not at end users". I'd like to aim at end users.
I want their feedback. Some people will only start looking at the new
code when we provide them with a precompiled binary.