Oh, I got sunshine outside. Not even fog today. :-) No, there's no need
for a committer vote prior to the PMC vote. In terms of the Apache
bylaws the PMC is the only body that can do project decisions [1]. BTW,
this is a topic that's currently discussed on legal-discuss [2]. Where
did you read this that a vote has to run a full week? AFAIK, the normal
period is 72 hours [3].

I think it would be worthwhile if everybody here would reread the pages
about how the ASF works. There have been quite a few improvements on
these pages lately. The board and the members also made up their minds
some more aboute certain topics. Even I should probably reread them
again, although as a member I get a lot of that through the members list
already. Reading those pages shows, for example, why the XML project had
to split up.

While we're at it: There are even voices that projects shouldn't
micromanage committer sets anymore. For us, that would mean: All Batik
committers become FOP committers and vice-versa. But that's for later.
So far, it was just a stray comment on one of the lists.

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#pmc-members
[2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/
[3] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html