On Dec 4, 2005, at 16:14, Simon Pepping wrote:

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 02:25:22PM +0100, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
<snip /> Could this solve the issue of using catalogs?)

No. Catalogs can only be used by registering an EntityResolver with
the XMLReader and a URIResolver with the Transformer. FOP's CLI code
currently just does not do this.

Good, that settles that. We'll have to look at other options here...

How about allowing:

fop -sysprop ... -fo ... -pdf ...

The -sysprop switch is caught by the shell script, and incorporated
into the java command-line.
(Using '-D' here would create confusion with FOP's own '-d' switch,
unless we were to allow only the slightly more verbose '-debug')

Users do not like to have to know the name of such an obscure
property. Configuring the class path is already a lot to ask from
someone not interested in Java per se.

Well then, maybe the solution would be to shield the user from the fact that it's a system property by having them supply only the name of the TransformerFactory implementation to use.

Besides that, I don't really think it's an obscure property (quite on the contrary). It's not because someone isn't aware of the existence of something, that that something is to be considered as obscure. Given proper documentation, the user might learn something new while configuring FOP...

Oh, sorry, I forgot that most people don't like to learn anything at all. :-P

Cheers,