Manuel Mall wrote:

I wonder if the same argument does apply to kerning as well? The moment you change font-size, text-decoration, background-color, alignment and the like, which is what fo:inline is mainly for, you create a barrier with respect kerning. Or to put it differently, I believe kerning applies only to "like" characters, same as glyph merging.

Not sure here: if we want to use kerning between, for example, "VA" I think it would be even more desirable to use it if the V has a bigger font size, or the A a smaller one; it could maybe need some heuristic to handle a kerning between character with different sizes, but I think it would be a desirable feature.

Nonetheless, I agree that the think may become strange with different backgrounds or vertical alignments ... maybe we should define which properties "break" a kerning pair ...

Regards
   Luca