Jeremias,

I did read those sections of the spec at the time and that's how the
question arose. I didn't check the code though. Any way the spec says in
7.28.4:

body-start() = the value of the start-indent + start-intrusion-adjustment
+ the value of the provisional-distance-between-starts of the closest
ancestor fo:list-block.

The questions arises what is meant by 'the value of the start-indent',
i.e. the start-indent of which fo is suppose to be used? Does the suffix
'of the closest ancestor fo:list-block' apply to all three terms
'start-indent', 'start-intrusion-adjustment' and
'provisional-distance-between-starts' or only to
'provisional-distance-between-starts'?.

I assume now it means the further that is start-indent is to be taken from
the closest ancestor fo:list-block. Therefore my initial concern that we
have a recursive case here is probably not an issue.

Now (finally) looking at the code it navigates up the fo tree until the
nearest ancestor fo:list-item and not fo:list-block. If start-indent on a
fo:list-item is always identical to the start-indent on the ancestor
list-block thats fine. If its not then we may have a problem.

Manuel

PS: Moved the thread to fop-dev.